InterPlanetary File System
- Peer-to-peer network and protocol.
- File contents are stored on distributed nodes.
- Uses content addressing (ie, a hash of the file’s contents)
- Still, there’s a naming system behind this called IPNS so a file can be
found be either it’s hash or name.
- Relies on the concept of pinning to persist files and prevent then
from being garbage collected. Pinning can be done on your local IPFS node
you can use pay for a 3rd party service like Pinata.
- Users can interact with IPFS with a CLI or the Desktop app.
- You can host static websites on IPFS.
# My Take on this
- This could be considered a data layer for the internet.
- The pinning concept is strange. With 3rd party services, we’re back to just
cloud storage like DropBox, so what gives?
- Using IPFS for NFTs seems risky. What if I lose my node or the 3rd party
service goes out of business?